Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think You Misunderstood My Point

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on May 14, 2003 18:21:47 UTC

" I agree with you that AI in its current form appears to be not much more than sophistry "

I didn't say that. All I said was that the problem of knowing whether computers can be conscious is not a legitimate philosophical problem, as our computers do not appear to be conscious at all. It's no different from arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

" However, someone like Dennett, Franklin or Hofstadter would stop you right there and say that the ultimate goal of real AI (not the parlour tricks of novelty chat-bots like Alice) is to produce a machine-based intelligence "

Dennet is the guy who argues that consciousness does not exist, and the perception that we are conscious is just an illusion. He doesn't strike me as someone who knows much about intelligence - you can't understand what you don't have...

As to "machine-based intelligence", my computer calculates more square roots of twelve-digit numbers per second than I'm able to do in a year. Sounds pretty machine-based intelligent to me! Somehow I miss the profoundity of their remarks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins