Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Really!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on May 12, 2003 19:20:18 UTC

" That's metaphysical naturalism. I don't buy into it. "

You don't have to buy any philosophy, but it's always good to reconcile your beliefs with facts. I'm sure you agree with me on this.

" Like Mike said, scratch the 'only' part and then we'd agree. "

I don't know what Mike said because life is too short to read his posts, but I re-read my post and I didn't agree with the 'only' thing myself. Please disregard it.

" Science fills me with wonder about God's greatness. "

Science fills me with wonder about humanity's greatness, not God's.

" I was just reading an article about how geologists are confused why the earth has a magnetic field given that by all accounts the core should have cooled billions of years ago. It just shows the miracle of life of how things we can't even understand in the 21st century must have all been 'just so' in order for so many things to go right. "

You and I are different! To me the above only means we don't have a clue. I try not to marvel at our own ignorance and confusion, it doesn't sound like a noble thing to do.

" I think what you confuse about science is that God has made the world that allows humans to fool themselves if they want to. "

I'm sorry Harv, but this is the kind of thing I would expect from a Jeovah Witness knocking at my door with an issue of The Watchtower, not from one as intellectually sophisticated as yourself. You have to try harder if you want to convince people that you're not a fool (and I know you aren't!)

" God won't intellectually force us to accept him by the findings of science, we must do that in faith. Although, the support of our faith can be found in science if we are willing to see it that way. "

You can find anything in anything if you are willing to see it that way. Just read Alan's posts. The real question is, do others see the same things you do?

Do crazy people know they are crazy, you asked recently. You probably know the answer, most of the time they don't. And the few of them who do know of their condition usually learn it from others. It is impossible to know about yourself if you disregard what other people have to say about you.

This is an old imbroglio. No matter how one looks at it, faith in God is impossible to justify or argue for. I have never argued against your beliefs, for I happen to share most of them myself, I just think your attempts at justifying them are phony. Why do you feel you have to explain and justify religious feelings? Isn't the feeling itself its own explanation, its own justification? That is, in essence, what's hard to understand about you.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins