Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
References To Hell In The Bible

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 24, 2003 01:13:34 UTC

The Old Testament: none

The New testament: many

The Apocrapha:

4Ezra.4
[7] And he said to me, "If I had asked you, `How many dwellings are in the heart of the sea, or how many streams are at the source of the deep, or how many streams are above the firmament, or which are the exits of HELL, or which are the entrances of paradise?'
[8] Perhaps you would have said to me, `I never went down into the deep, nor as yet into HELL, neither did I ever ascend into heaven.'
4Ezra.7
[36] Then the pit of torment shall appear, and opposite it shall be the place of rest; and the furnace of HELL shall be disclosed, and opposite it the paradise of delight.
4Ezra.8
[53] The root of evil is sealed up from you, illness is banished from you, and death is hidden; HELL has fled and corruption has been forgotten;

I searched the bible. for hell (on-line Revised Standard). No hits in the Old Testament. Many in the New and in Ezra from the books not allowed in the old testament.

It seems that by the time of Jesus, the concepts of hell and heaven as a place to go to had become established, perhaps by Jesus. These concepts do not exist in reform judaism, but do exist in the orthadox. Not sure about consrvatives.

My view on strength of faith is :
1. Orthadox
2. Conservative
3.Reform

Reform judaism is not official in Israel. So I could not be recognized as a jew there.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins