Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
And About My Schooling...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on March 7, 2003 03:10:46 UTC

I am no scientist, and by virtue, I am no mathmetician either. I am careless as to the statements I make with an occasional intelligent outburst (most likely by accident). I would like to think that my footsteps are the teachers. Just walking through the forests of life. If I happen to trip over knowledge, I just pick myself up and move forward, and sometimes backward. I can choose to ignore it, or pay attention.

This forum I find pretty fascinating. I would like to think that there is a great knowledge pool here. More so than other forums. But occasionally, I see posters go off on other posters. This is not nice. I usually comment on the animosities when they get thick and intense. I, if I disagree with a post, or if I think there was a worthless post, I usually say nothing at all and let it get pushed into the depths of the stack of other posts. And leave it at that.

My education, well, I did graduate from DeVry a few years ago and eventually found a decent job close to where I live. DeVry, although it is not a "Harvard" or "Yale", did afford me to follow a few of my passions. And I went after them. So, put "Status" aside, I say that I can find grace and comfort knowing that I am doing something that allows me to be passionate about what I do for a living. I am also very fortunate to hold a job. I have an Id badge and a desk to work at. In this day and age I consider myself to be most fortunate.

As for astronomy and generally speaking "science" I do have quite a passion for, but unfortunately do not seem to have a passionate enough grasp on most of the topics nor the fortitude to dig in as deep as most of you. My astronomical backing (edu) is more "street knowledge" but allows for me to understand (get a great idea) most of what is written or explained. The rest of my thinking or thoughts about "the heavens" is based on common sense. Meaning, You Know When A Theory Sounds "Far Fetched" (or too unreal) no matter how much math is backing it, and you know when something sounds (feels) solid.

And as far as GOD goes, well, my religion is Judaism, and believe in GOD very strongly and am proud to be Jewish, but am very cautious about "following the sheep". I believe that GOD put us here, and that is all. I believe, that like US, GOD had to learn. I believe that GOD does not punish and has created US for the sole purpose of sharing with each other and loving one another. I believe that life is not written for me or that I have a specific purpose other than to live, love, and share with others. Oh, and find happiness too. I also believe that GOD, with respect to creation and free will, simply threw down the dice and let them land on the craps table of life. However they hit, they hit, and that is all.

My overall belief about things in life is that "They are what they are". If there are bad people or events, they are not to be punished by GOD but to be handled on a human level and understood. We cannot ask for more.

Occasionally, I like to test my abililty to be humorous, although somewhat dry, I do the best I can. Like George Carlin, I find that to a degree and perspective, most all things are funny. I enjoy "OxyMoronic Jumbo Shrimp Paradox" type humor, especially when it can be applied to very serious topics. And sometimes I think something is funny enough to share with people who would understand it. Like a joke relating to an Einstein-ish theory, about how time does seem to slow down more and more as the clock gets closer to the end of your workday. I find that funny in a strange way. But only people, who understand Einstein and the doors of foresight he opened up for us, can appreciate humor like that.

That is all

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2018 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins