Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Murat Bilginer on February 25, 2003 19:39:54 UTC

for the longest time, i really thought that "universe" was the compilation of the two words, uni and verse. so i would look at the idea that way. one story, or one basic equation to how things happen. i had talked with my girl friendabout it and she told me that i was talking about macro and microcosm, i never bothered to look up what that meant, its really not that important to me.
i see patterns all the time in things, its almost plagues me. there are so many similarities in the way things behave. like you said, there may be many universes (not that such hypotheses are all that relevant to me nowadays) and one version was this "branching out" effect of a single causal universe. trees, rivers nerve endings,... this seems so undeniably one way that the "universe" works. the laws are the universe to me, space, time and stuff are things i percieve. just because i dont see it, doesnt mean its not there, so to point at the sky and say "universe" may sound silly if i suddenly wake-up in bed on some plasma-planet somewhere in limbo in a chaotic pluraverse and laugh about how i dreamed there was only one, and my friends call me crazy.
but as far as i know, things are predictable, there is definitely order and explanation and cause and effect going on in my universe, i find it very comforting waking up and recognizing everything that i perceive happening and when i end up in a situation where there may seem some confusion ill investigate and so far, things have worked out. i dont believe in magic and sensationalism, mundane life is pretty exciting to me.

and apparently we both use the terms feel, knowledge and belief differently, i dont fiddle with semantics.

what were your revelations if you dont mind me asking?

peace

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins