Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Time Dimension?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on January 23, 2003 01:34:55 UTC

"So do you think the time dimension is real?"

That depends on what you consider a dimension.

"Perhaps the future time dimension displays all that could possibly happen, and we collectively get to choose what will come into firm existence in the present moment. So the future portion of the time dimension would contain the fuzziness the above post spoke of."

I think that to best answer this question, I should just tell you what I think about the whole subject of time as a dimension.

I think of time as a record of events. The record is currently being 'written.' When I think of a dimension, I think of any value that is essential to describing something. I usually think of 4 (relative) dimensions when trying to describe something. X, Y, Z, and T (time, I do not know of the usual letter for time). I have no idea how many the universe actually uses. My best guess would be an infinite number. I think dimensions are rendered as-needed and without regard for anything previously determined. I only think of the 4 because I believe that is the minimum needed to describe that relative values of something to something else.

Time, however, is the odd one out (if it was ever 'in' to begin with). I think of time as a dimension because it gives a value essential to describing relative... values. The weird part is that time does not follow the rigid guidelines of other dimensions. It bends and distorts due to its surroundings. Time is unreliable. Time is also used to measure the other dimensions, which can get complicated. Something is either 100% accurate, or 0% accurate in truth. Either a particle will exist at P point in space at U time, or it won't. Ohh, and it measures something very different than the other dimensions.

About the past... I think that all past events are 'recorded' in Akashic Record-like state known as time. Akashic record-like meaning the same as normal minus the clairvoyant part. I think that all the mystics and what not are nonessential to the idea. Anyone can access (and is, in fact, accessing) the records. I also think that even though the Akashic Records are representations of the past, they are not the past. They are very much the present, integral to existence as we (humans) know it. If we were to somehow transmit information into space at faster-than-light speeds that asked some intelligent race to point a powerful telescope at earth then transmit back what they see, we would, essentially, be looking at our past. I think of that as time travel.

About the future... I think that the future is written, and we cannot change it. However, we constantly make decisions that change the course of time. We use free will to do this, but I think of free will differently than you do (from what I have gathered of your previous posts). The opinions differ in that I think our free will is the basis of the future, free will or not, the decision that we make are based on our experience (s) at and before the time at which we make the decision. In addition, our (as in human) mental dispositions help form our views of the experiences we (as humans) face. There are other factors, but these are the main ones. Well, all have absolute power... but I think you get the picture of what I am trying to say. So, the universe calculates the future on the basis of its own facts and rules, we only think we have free will, when, in fact, there is no such thing (as far as I see it). One cannot outsmart his/her self. That is very hard to explain, its an endless circle, that’s the best that I can do. I say calculate because that is the best, and closest, explanation I have ever been able to give of what I think the universe actually does with the information. We can compress the information to predict what will happen, but there will always be a margin of error. Truth can only be calculated by itself. Another thing, we can only know the answers to the questions we ask. The universe renders all of time-space in real time, but our brains do not perceive it as such. We only see what we are paying attention to. That includes all forms of consciousness (including subconscious, etc.). The universe 'knows' all thoughts before they are. It is everything. I am tired, and I have a lot of work to do, so I will wait for a reply to that before going on.

I only had 5 typos in this post, after running spell-check. That's a personal record (for typos per word typed). It has 872 words. Thats a personal record as well!

One more thing, those are the viewpoints of an uneducated person (I haven't even finished high school yet). They are merely guesses for the most part. I understand that most of it could be completely unfounded and false... idiotic ramblings, whatever. Anything that I have said which makes no sense, please let me know. I want to correct my mistakes.

Regards,

Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins