Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Does That Mean...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on January 20, 2003 16:41:09 UTC

... that you don't believe in heaven or hell?

From the beginning of your post up to the point where you say "Only in peoples minds...," your viewpoints differ drastically with mine. However, after that point it seems as if your beliefs could agree with mine. With that in mind; I will tell you some of my beliefs.

Remember that these beliefs change slightly often, and only represent my current beliefs.

I believe that there is no creator, but that all gods exist and that they control our daily lives. They have controlled our history since the first thought of anything that resembles a god. When religion was formed, gods had a far greater impact on daily life than previous times. Gods only have power because at least one person in history thought they did. That thought, along with others like it, are molding our lives to this day. They will continue to, even if at one point there is no longer a belief in religion. They control us by our thoughts. We have an action, and while we are in the process of deciding to do it or not, we search for reasons to not do it. Then, we search for reasons to do it. If we think that a god would not approve of it, or that the god would punish us if we did it, we would delay our decision, or decide to not do it (or vise versa). That is how I believe that gods control our lives directly. I say that gods exist because we learn from our experiences what a god would or would not approve of. Therefore, gods are but stereotypical schemas in our minds. Separate consciousnesses contained within our own minds. In addition, a god is a collective conscious, the sum of what all the people who have conceived it think of it. That would effectively explain why beliefs change over time from people of the same religion, and why those beliefs do not change too much. However, no god has any direct power whatsoever. They do not exist to have power.

The following is a short version of my current beliefs of 'life' before and after life.

Life, as far as humans go, is our existence on this earth as sentient beings. Birth is the point at which our brains activate. Death is the point at which our brains deactivate. Before our life, for all eternity up until our birth, is was always known that we would be born. During life, it was always known what we would do, and when we would die. After life, it will always be known what we accomplished during life, and that we existed. Also, before life, it was always known that we would be known what we accomplished, it (existence) just didn't know it yet. That information is available to all, for all eternity. However, I believe that only the universe itself can calculate it exactly. In truth, there is only 0 and 1, false and true. Something will either happen, or it won't. If born, we will die. Only the universe can calculate when. Existence cannot be compressed, therefore only existence can calculate itself.

If I lost you anywhere, or if I didn't explain a point enough to make it clear, just let me know.

What parts of my statements in this post fit into your beliefs? What parts do not? Why?

Regards,

Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins