Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Pear Is Rotten Again

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 4, 2002 13:02:10 UTC

Well maybe just sour in the above post. Hessler perhaps stretched the point as bit in ascribing Manifest Destiny to God. But it is interesting that it's the only thing the fruitson could find to criticize in Hessler's rather long post.

I think a better case for the influence of God on the Presidency can be made with Raygun. Published rumor has it that he and/or at least Nancy consulted a psychic. It is quite close to the Israeli model where the King would consult the Prophet for advice from God. We can fault Raygun on many counts, but he will nevertheless in history be credited with ending the Cold War. God works in mysterious ways.

I for one am quite impressed with Hessler's thesis as well as Harvey's reply. The two together seem to suggest that secularism works if people are sufficiently wise, as Richard exemplifies. In spite of my belief in the supernatural, what Harvey calls god, it seems to me that scientifically grounded, moral secularists are much more ethical on the average than religious people. Afterall, religious people are ultimately behaving for purely selfish reasons- to please god and be saved.

Harv- Hope I am correct in saying that you include the supernatural as part of god.

Regards,

yanniru

I'll try to use yanniru so readers will not confuse me with Richard Hessler.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins