Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here Is The Rest

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 24, 2002 17:19:12 UTC

BTW- Thanks for the honest admission.

1. Yaniru stated earlier that he attended university with Alan Watts.
***Covered above

2. Alan Watts did write that part of our culture is based on the Jewish idea that social conventions are the laws of God.
***I do not know what Alan wrote. But I do believe tha the laws of Moses or God, as you wish, covered a number of items that might be considered social convention. Let's see if I can think of any off hand. a. resting one day a week; b. leaving the corners of your field unharvested so the poor can eat; c. returning all your family has acquired to the original owners every 50 years; and so on. These and many more are all part of the 613 commandments of god in the Torah.

3. Yaniru has stated that he is a Jew.
***I converted to Reform Judaism at age 40 after years of study of Hebrew scripture. However, the State of Israel does not recognize that I am a jew since my mother was a catholic.

4. Yaniru has been willing to discuss Jewishness
at length.
***I love Judaism, and think that Jesus was very jewish, a total jew, who was trying to reform Judaism, as Moses told us we should do. I accept the reforms of Jesus but not the dogma of Paul, which I think is largely a distortion of the teaching of Jesus.

5. I have been clear that I do not have ill-regard for Jews; in fact, I am still learning about them.
**Yes. But his regard for me is definitely ill.

6. Yaniru has stated that he is retired, with a PhD from Harvard, and worked in both science and humanities careers.
***No, only science and computers. I was a member of the Staff at MIT in its humanities Dept while protesting Star Wars, but was working on science at the time. At MIT even the humanities are rather scientific. I have a PhD in physics from Harvard with a thesis on electrmagnetic theory. I am now retired with a stipend from SSA and make extra money as a colonial drummer at Boston conventions,etc. (See www.bostonalarm.com)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins