Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Disagree.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on October 23, 2002 23:08:50 UTC

"A computer program can predict the arrival time of my car once it reaches a particular destination as long as I obey certain simple rules. However, this is the key, I didn't get in the car and turn the key and then let the car go in a predictable fashion. I am still the driver making the decisions along the way. If a computer can calculate anything, it is only because I have chosen to drive in a predictable manner."

So, you can break Universal laws at your own bidding? Those "... certain simple rules" are the rules that you must obey in order to drive your car to a particular destination. (From what I gathered...) that is what Yaniru meant by saying that.

Every choice that you make is based on laws, every decision, every photon that you 'see,' everything that will ever happen will happen based upon these laws.

If the laws are known, and the position and values of every particle in existance, then it can be programmed into a computer... after all, the Universe, and anything beyond, is but a supercomputer. It only makes calculations based on the laws of itself. UIt cannot break these laws, and if it were to break a law, that law never was a law, just a coincidence based on other laws. Existance: a math problem. The Universe cannot, as far as I know, just make up stuff that doesn't agree with pre-determined laws. It cannot happen.

However, as far as I have thought, the Universe is the simplest, and most complicated computer that can calculate anything with any accuracy. It is reality, it defines reality. Reality would be different if there were one particle less than there currently are.

Warm Regards,

Phillip Martin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins