Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If A Computer Program Can Do It...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on October 23, 2002 14:23:58 UTC

Sam said: But I believe God was required to put it in motion

Harv said: Well, then, what causes the earth to rotate? What moves the sun through the Milky Way? If God is obviously not responsible, what is?

Besides being rather amused that these two are in agreement, it occurs to me that we have computer programs that can predict all these things from the initial conditions of the big bang.

If a computer program can do it, why do we need god for gross motion.

I believe that god is operative in the universe, and in my life, in a much more subtle manner; because when he established the natural laws at the beginning of the universe, he was then constrained to obey them himself.

Same goes for free will. When he gave free will to conscious beings in the universe, he then limited his power to predict the future or to mold the future, except perhaps via natural castrophe and coincidence.

yanniru

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins