Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Follow-up

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 17, 2002 18:29:53 UTC

Hi Richard,

It's good to have you and Aurino active. The young children that are voicing their opinions are making me grumpy.

***Greeks didn't need Christianity to form their ideals. Nor did Lao Tzu, Confuscious, or any other Asian Philosopher.***

No, but once Christianity came on the scene in the academic world (which didn't happen until the 5th century with Augustine, and then was squelched by the Barbarian invasions of the Roman Empire), you begin to see a different approach to philosophy. First, Aristotle becomes more important than how the Greeks treated him. Another important change is that in Middle Age Christians ask questions which probably didn't occur to Aristotle. The focus is more in line with natural philosophy.

*** I think it would be a mistake to discredit such efforts in Asia, because I think this young discussion has not yet spoken of the accomplishments of the West v the accomplishments of the East and commented on why certain developments didn't occur where or why it took longer for one development here than there, etc...***

I don't want to discredit Asia. What I want to say is that Europe excelled far beyond what happened anywhere else in the world. The question is what would have happened had Christianity completely been surpressive to science (e.g., how modern creationists are), then in my opinion I don't think there would be any spot in the world much further along than Kepler and Galileo's time.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins