Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
...get Away From It All

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on January 20, 2000 21:27:56 UTC

***The biggest reason I would go off to distant planets is to begin a world society based upon a stable model, sort of like a very large commune. Current technology could support such a reality, and many luxuries would be non-existant/unwanted. What are some of the ground rules you would like to see applied to such a colony? --------- Sounds nice. I'd like to see small communities where everybody knows each other, and are essentially a big family (awwww that's sweet). It takes a village to raise a child, they say (grass is always greener eh city boy?). Or would that limit the gene pool? I read some Desmond Morris that describes that idealy, humans evolved to our current state through initially adopting small tribes. This was meant to be a sort of ideal condition. He argued that cities are completely alien to our behavior, thus causing all urban related problems we see today (faceless random crime, it's harder to steal from your flesh and blood neighbor). He described cities to be a "human zoo" because it was comparable to a real zoo with caged animals. Both animals and human seemed to experience the same psycological effects. Ground rules? Nothing especially profound comes to mind (do what U want? Clearly that wouldn't work). Luxury is kind of a subjective term. Computers are a luxury by some standards, but I'd still like to have em. Maybe a better word is excess.

Well, i feel like I've contributed nothin but hopeless pointless generalities to this strand of thought... What do U think?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins