Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No Worries Harv!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on September 15, 2002 10:20:43 UTC

Hi Harv,

You need not worry Harv.

First: there is no such thing literally as "mental health".

Just as there is no such thing literally as "economic health"

These are metaphorical uses of the term "health".

See www.szasz.com

However; reading deeper: you have expressed legitimate concerns that I; like so-called schizophrenics (who allegedly confuse metaphors for reality) and like psychiatrists (who also allegedly confuse metaphorical illnesses for real illnesses); that I may be confusing metaphor for reality.

I can assure you that my eyes are wide open.

In "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard feynman; we learn that while a student, his lecturer may be talking about certain conditions attached to some problem in physics say. But Feynman would be visualising the problem or whatever as a ball, and the conditions on say one aspect of the problem as a fuzziness around that ball; or whatever! (Have to check the book to give his actual description).

Visualisation! Now, the statements you quote from me: I am using everyday events as a vehicle "(person, dog) on your doorstep"; as a vehicle for mapping Dr. Stafford's logic and mathematics.

I find English stories easier to think in than sterile maths, perhaps. But what I am talking about are patterns; I am not confusing metaphors for reality.

The statements you quoted; however; go further than being just metaphors. There comes a point where the patterns of reality are so accurately depicted that they work correctly in real ordinary situations. So my stories are quite good physics as they stand.

I have opened the door and am letting reality reveal itself. But I am very open to argument (i.e. am highly rational: I try to invite the toughest critiques people can come up with).

If I was "crazy"; I would hardly be inviting people to demolish what I write!

Not that there is any such thing as "crazy"; only: understanding, misunderstanding, strategy, freedom, coercion, disputes, values, disagreements, agreements, doubts, counter-doubts,
play-acting, honesty, survival, discovery, poetry, explanation, etc. etc.

Another thing about so-called "mental health":

this idea that one must not investigate "reality" too deeply: this is like the touchstone of psychiatric dictatorship!

Logically: all that exists is all there is. So you might as well investigate reality: as all there IS is all there is! By definition!

But the pharisees do not want humans to do this? Because all their power is then broken? Because, more innocently, they are in fear and in darkness, and they are afraid of the light? Because their parents feared the light, and were distracted from seeing it? And so with their parents' parents, and so on?

Because they can no longer hypnotise humans by distracting them from reality? Is not every baby not subjected to massive hypnosis by society; distraction from reality?

Harv: fear is understandable. Are these discussions serious? They are extremely serious.
I went through a period of personal self-discovery which I described in my "2001. An Inner Space Odyssey" essay at Counterbalance. I fortunately safely dismantled much of my 'world' so to speak; seeing what lay beneath. But it can be dangerous for others to do this. But anyone can do this. It need not be too hazardous. Honesty is a good stable rock to rely on.

So when I talk soon about the colour force and gluons and quantum chromodynamics etc. etc. in terms of meetings and negotiations; and talk of "electrons" as modifications and neutrons as "neutral ground" and "protons" as promoted-views etc. etc.; never fear!

This is a way of looking at nuclear interactions and QED that produces such amazingly good mapping of the physics that it may be more than just analogy. (But I'm just an amateur).

So the universe is created right now from LOVE; that is good theology too! And there is no devil you have to bow to! You do not have to bow to him. The future is free.

Regards,

Alan

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins