Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Bollocks

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 14, 2002 16:37:55 UTC

I find the notion that an omnipotent God is needed for one to establish a moral code offensive to the extreme (especially considering that the God of the Old Testament is one of the cruelest and most vengeful in theological history.) You want to know why I don't rape and steal? Because those cause pain and suffering to others, and because a society that tolerates acts like that would self-destruct, because no-one would trust each other. There are some moral laws that one must follow by neccesity in order for a society to exist.

Evolution and altruism are not mutually exclusive. Say it with me. *Evolution and altruism are not mutually exclusive.* *Evolution and altruism are not mutually exclusive.* There is a distinct evolutionary advantage to taking care of your own. It leads to cooperation and strength in numbers.

"we are all just evolved monkeys, and when we die we just die, why should we even care what we do?"

Because this is all we have. Enjoying it now with others is the best we can hope for.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you. That's it. You don't need a God, a heaven, a hell, or a judgment day to enforce that.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins