Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Moo!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on September 2, 2002 20:58:36 UTC

Paul,

>>>"Would you please explain why you chose to ignore a simple question I asked you?"

First of all, Stafford's paper is a mathematical trick based within a faulty understanding of space-time. I mean, he doesn't even understand that t=0 for the "beginning" of any and all phenomena! I even understand this!

Now, to call his paper solipsist, as I have, is actually a form of flattery. The paper is just a complicated trick, really. Remember a couple years ago that "formula" whereby you could think of a number, bump it against the current year, and arrive back at you birthday and the number you'd originally thought of? It seems to me Stafford's paper is the same sort of mathematical 'sleight of hand,' only a lot more involved. The results are consistent because his "theorems" are designed much like the little trick I presented in "Stick Dafford, DhP."

However, solipsism is technically the strict separation of "self" from any- and everything that the "self" may consider. Stafford sets this division up early on, though his terms are reversed (calling the universe "physical reality"). You might say it's a "reverse" solipsism.

Or, you might say it's a pile of cow manure.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins