Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
This And That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on August 30, 2002 01:00:16 UTC

HI Scott

Did I put words in your mouth? No.

Also, you write:
"Science is merely the tool by which we measure this thing we call nature--"

We could also call science the BS detector about religion.
And we could call religion "a grab bag of concepts -- some helpful, some terribly unhelpful."

You write:
"Our secular laws are based on traditional moral principles. Have you ever heard of the Ten Commandments? Thou shall not kill. Thou shall not steal...etc.

There's no question that the Old Testament is much more blood thirsty than the New Testament. A much more angry and vengeful God. An eye for eye, etc. Christ turned God into a God of peace. Turn the other cheek, etc. The philosophy definitely changes to a measurable degree. "

Scott, I don't think anyone needed a book to tell them that killing another person, or being killed,
is a bad thing generally! What the Bible and other books do for the topic would fill a thimble, barely. The Bible says, Thou shalt not kill. Then it goes on and on about killing. And churches through the ages did the same. What "measurable degree" of change did you find in religious history?

I have posted a lot of pro-Jesus stuff here so I'm not against some of what you've said. I see the thing not as a parlor game ...finding the truth about these matters is urgent !

Best wishes,
Mime

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins