Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
But

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Chris Duncan on August 22, 2002 05:32:01 UTC

It was Eintein's theory that light DID move at a constant...it was space that was expanding(which would make light move faster), or contracting(which would make light move slower).

If black holes spin, making space-time spin with them, light would be traveling in an ever-tightening circle. That would explain why light cannot escape a black hole. Yet it would also keep with the fact that E does =MC^2.

I've read in Discovery magazine that scientists "shot" light in a gas(I think it was argon, but I can't remember), and made it "stop" by shining the laser at it, then shined the laser at a certain frequency at it to make it "start" again. The cloud of gas was trasparent until the first laser, then it became opaque. Afterwards, it became transparent again.

Weird, huh? But does that make Einstein's theory false?

Chris

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins