Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You're A Good Guy I Bet...and This One I'm Sure About

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on August 9, 2002 04:17:30 UTC

Luis wrote:
" Genuine infinity is a logical paradox."
There's probably no difference between
genuine infinity and fake infinity until they are both defined more precisely.

Luis wrote:
"I think a logical examination of infinity is perfectly in sync with Godel; while logic suggests infinity might be possible, an infinity would be impossible to prove logically. "

If you define infinity precisely in a way that proceeds to a paradox, then it is going to be hard to prove...I can't dispute that!

A useful definition of infinity could
stem from its apparent etymology...not finite...not countable. What makes a thing uncountable is having insufficient information.
The more information we have, the greater control we have over variables. The less information we have to establish ranges for our variables, the closer to infinity is the result of running the equation with our variables.
Does this make sense to Luis, whoever you are?

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins