Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Forget About me And Concentrate On The Posts.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on August 9, 2002 19:27:34 UTC

Emporer Whittier Michael Careful Spaz ,

>>>"If you define infinity precisely in a way that proceeds to (be) a paradox, then it is going to be hard to prove...I can't dispute that!"

Although experience with your posts lead me to perceive a tone of mockery and derision in this statement, you may have inadvertently summed up the problem quite nicely here. While mathematics usually eliminates the problems of semantics and syntax, infinity is a concept that makes sense only when considered outside of a mathematical basis.

I think this shows us that math is imperfect; mathematics is a human invention (that claim gets me in a lot of trouble around here). Alex was fun for debating this one, but most other folks just dismiss that opinion as foolish. (Some would call me< foolish, but in here the ideas should stand on their own. It shouldn't matter whence they come.)

>>>"A useful definition of infinity could
stem from its apparent etymology...not finite...not countable."

True dat. Words themselves are not important until we affix concepts to them. But when we assign numbers to the concept we typically assign to infinity, the concept turns into a paradox.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins