Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Time Is "sequential Change Marked In Chosen Increments"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on July 22, 2002 21:15:17 UTC

Thanks, Dick!

Hope you'll be willing to have a response in
two parts...the shorter part now. I am enjoying
reading your note. However this all turns out, it's fun and good to consider!
I believe you and I agree:
Two clock at any rates, if moving the same rate as one another, perform a service for the two clock users. I don't know of any "time" substance
that exists.
"Proper time" is a convention set by our cultural
and planetary calendars being divided into smaller increments.

You wrote:
"I say clocks do not measure time! Instead, they measure path length in Einstein's geometry."

Now this brings me to my earlier comment, "Einstein is wrong!" He uses a geometry which casts time as one of his coordinates and then, in that geometry, clocks measure the path lengths of trajectories."

I have to think about this some more. I have no doubt that Einstein is sometimes mistaken...who isn't? Maybe I will have a good reply for you in a few days. Meanwhile, I am grateful you took time to explain this in a way which challenges my blurry notion that:
"As light is hard-wired into the universe,
the wiring also creates a mysterious exception to
non-light physics." Mysterious to me, anyway. :)

See ya! (in a manner of speaking)
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins