Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Identities And Equations For Luis, Dick, Esteemed Writers

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on July 20, 2002 05:19:58 UTC

Luis, I'm not so sure you should count yourself
the evaluator of my comprehension.
I figured if they can't explain it clearly in words, there's probably a mistake in their math.
So although there are probably mistakes in Yanniru's math and Dr. Dick's math, I'm waiting for their words to make a little more sense before
I go to the trouble of checking their math...yes, it would take some effort. I do have a logical approach without all the funny greek letters being always the first resort.
I'm here at the bottom of an abstract well...

1) Math is for computing. Then, when you have found a universal law, you should be able to explain in terms of simpler ratios, physically.

2) Dr. Dick is PROVEN right on at least one point right here with a minor example, as follows:
Physical laws CAN be confused for conditional equations. I found one rightCheer in my Pre-Calculus Math book.
Paraphrased without ANY context shift, they said "A=1/2bh is a law of nature when the letters mean 'area = 1/2 times base times height.'"

But while that's true for triangles, it's not true for other geometric forms. So, on this SIMPLE level, this book let that little declaration pass for truth. Do you believe
A=1/2 b h when the letters mean "area=1/2 times base times height?" I don't agree that it's true without conditions...not true universally!
The triangle is an existing example for which it is true, and we love to cite it.

You see they CAN make that mistake!
If you doubt what I am saying, I can give you the book title and edition number, etc....
ISBN, or could post a photocopy of the page on my website if you want...

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins