Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Evolution As Fact Or Theory

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on July 16, 2002 13:22:18 UTC

Luis,

I am constantly disturbed by the confusion of evolution as a theory and the archaelogical and historical record of life on earth, also called evolution. I am not saying that you are confused. I am saying that the ambiguity allows the creationists to capitalize on the confusion.

I wish there were some way to distinquish between facts like the ages of various fossils and the theory of how those fossils came to be.

You seem to be of the same opinion as I that the facts underlying evolution do not rule out devine guidance, but that the theory in its many forms does.

So I think we need another name for the history of life on earth, and save evolution for the theory since the name itself implies gradualism, which really is an assumption in the theory supported by various postulated mechanisms. The creationists have a point with regard to the theory. But they are completely mistaken in regard to the history.

So they attack the theory and then claim to have undermined the history.

Then again they never respond to the history of the universe that we observe, in real time so to speak, by telescopes that detect light that originated thousands, millions and billions of years ago.

So any good ideas for a new name?

Regards,
Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins