Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Worthless Comment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 16, 2002 12:59:30 UTC

Given my limited math skills, what I'll say here is completely irrelevant and beside the point. Yet, my incompetence notwithstanding, I can't refrain from having my own misinformed opinions.

I don't think Yanniru is an idiot. He does say strange things now and then but so do all of us. Besides, it's completely beyond me how an idiot could get a PhD from Harvard; having a post-secondary degree myself I know how hard it is to get one. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

So I take it that if Yanniru cannot see for himself what Dick is trying to say, I'm sure he is competent enough to be convinced of a mathematical truth or to recognize his limitations. Then again, the same goes for Dick, so I'm sure the whole problem here has more to do with Dick's temper or Yanniru's attitude than anything logical. Which is too bad.

" So what you really derived is the wave function, which of course follows from the shift symmetry "

One famous sculptor, whose name I can't remember, on being asked how he was able to create such stunning masterpieces, said something like this: "It's simple! I start with a raw stone and chisel away everything that is not the statue"

I always had it with me that physics is nothing but a subset of math. The real questions for me are quite easy to ask but very difficult to answer: how do we determine what portion of math is physics, and what do we call the rest?

Dick claims to have answered my first question. I'm not competent to judge what he's done, but to me that is entirely beside the point. If Dick didn't do it someone else will. The second question, though, sounds a lot more interesting to me, and that no one has even brought up. So I'm still waiting.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins