Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Where Is That Fish...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 15, 2002 13:42:43 UTC

... which Dick used once to hit you in the head? :-)

Hi!

I find it ironic that you don't know if ignorance exists or not. Maybe I'm missing something?

" Both Alan and Socrates have suggested that we really do know everything, but we have just forgotten it. "

And Descartes said the pineal gland is the seat of the soul. Speaking of quotes, Einstein said only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and he wasn't sure about the former. So there you go.

" And that possibility raises a new question: If you have forgotten something, are you ignorant of it? Or do we need another word for that type of ignorance? "

In all honesty I don't know what "forgotten" means. I have no idea why some information is readily available to me and some isn't. I don't know why sometimes I forget my wife's name. I don't know why I remember it when I do.

But...

Suppose we really have to think about whether we really don't know or just forgot it. Since the issue seems one of coming up with another absolute truth other than "thought happens", wouldn't "sometimes thought doesn't happen" do just fine? It certainly gets rid of the yucky problem of what "remembering" actually is.

Warm regards,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins