Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Miscommunication Strikes Again

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 15, 2002 17:45:11 UTC

Hi Paul,

I think I got it now, your last post makes perfect sense. But I still have this absolute truth which I want to communicate to you so I'll try again.

What I'm trying to convey is the idea that, if knowledge exists, then something else must also necessarily exist. I called that something else "ignorance" but I can see how it might have been a poor choice. Here's another take:

- Problems exist

Now I can see how that wonderful piece of transcendental wisdom can also be turned into mush (there's always a Harv in each one of us), so allow me to elaborate.

First, I won't define what I mean by 'problem'. If you don't know what a problem is, well, that is your problem. You haven't defined 'I' or 'thought' so I'm not doing any worse. But I think my fundamental statement meets one of my criteria for absolute truth, the one which says a statement is absolutely true if the very attempt to prove it false will prove it true. Just as it makes no sense for any individual to try and prove that no individuals exist, or for a thinking person to think that thought doesn't happen, if you doubt my statement you will have proved it. If you say "I'm not sure problems exist", then convincing me I'm wrong is going to be your first problem ever.

Back to your post, maybe we do know everything and just forgot it, but the fact remains that whether we need to learn or remember the information is not available to us, and that is the problem. That is why I found your reasoning ironic, it doesn't matter whether you are ignorant or just forgot whether you are ignorant or just forgot, the very fact that you are ignorant (or just forgot?) makes my assertion true. In any case, "problems exist" is probably a better way to express it.

I can think of a few other statements which I consider absolute truth, but this particular one is extremely important when contrasted with the first one.

" In this way, I think one can come up with a valid reason to doubt virtually all assertions (again with the exception of "thought happens".) "

I happen to think there's a lot that cannot possibly be doubted, but considering how difficult it is to get past the first fact...

" Now, along these same lines, I think that about 463 angels can dance on the head of a pin. "

Yeah, but are they male, female, hermaphrodite, or sexless?

Warm regards,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins