Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Good Answer

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 12, 2002 19:04:42 UTC

Hi Aurino,

Many months ago, when I tossed my assertion, "Thought happens", into this forum suggesting it was an absolute truth, I had hoped that it would establish the beginning of a logical structure which we could make something of. It didn't happen.

Now, you offer what I was looking for. By asserting, communicating, and agreeing that "thought happens", we can move on to the next step, which you have provided.

Since we now know that thought happens, we consequently know that knowledge exists, to wit, we know that thought happens.

At this juncture, knowing that knowledge exists, we are facing two possibilities: either we know everything, or there is something we don't know.

If we could somehow rule out the first of these possibilities, we could be sure that the second of your statements, "ignorance exists", is true.

But I'm not so sure that we can jump to that conclusion so hastily. Both Alan and Socrates have suggested that we really do know everything, but we have just fogotten it. And that possibility raises a new question: If you have forgotten something, are you ignorant of it? Or do we need another word for that type of ignorance?

Sorry if I'm babbling, but I have fun thinking about things like this.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins