Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Oops

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 8, 2002 16:55:48 UTC

Actually I am interested in quantum physics, it's just that I don't understand it, and I often see famous physicists confessing the same inability. Like your Feynman quote below. I suppose my remark must have sounded a bit bitter, but that was far from my intention. Sorry about that.

I like Dick Stafford's approach to the problem. What I gather from his paper is that quantum mechanics is just probability theory applied to particle physics. That rings some bells with me as the move from uncertainty to certainty, the collapse of the wave function, sounds very similar to what we experience as the passage of time. But of course Dick's math is far beyond me so I can't really say his derivation of Schrodinger's equation is valid.

In any case, would you agree with me that you can't properly explain consciousness using quantum mechanics unless you provide a clear definition of what an observation is? Quantum physicists have been sweeping the problem of observation under the carpet ever since the theory came about, which is fine for me but only as long as they do the same with consciousness. Once you open a can of worms you can't let some of them out and keep the others in.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins