Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's A Starting Point

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 4, 2002 15:41:45 UTC

" Sure, that syllogism alone doesn't mean anything, because it has no bearing in the outside world. It's just an abstract mathematical statement. "

One thing at a time. I'm simply disputing your notion that everything true must be meaningful.

" I don't see how you can boil evolution down to something like that. "

You're not alone, most people think evolution theory is a perfect explanation for all the relevant facts concerning living organisms. Even creationists think so, that's why they try to prove it wrong, only they're not smart enough to understand that a perfect theory can't be proven wrong.

" Just tell me why you don't think evolutionary theory means anything... "

For one simple reason: I can't think of a single piece of evidence which could possibly prove the theory wrong. In my mind the theory is absolutely true, and the only way to be absolutely true is by saying absolutely nothing meaningful.

"... and why you don't care about its validity? "

I have a theory for predicting the outcome of a coin throw. My theory says that whenever you throw a coin, you will always get either heads or tails, and absolutely nothing else. Would you waste time trying to prove my theory wrong? And would you think my theory says anything about what happens to a coin when you throw it?

" That strikes me as ludicrous "

Let me ask you something. Do you know why animals sleep? What is the evolutionary advantage of spending a large portion of your life (most of it if you're a cat) as an unconscious prey to waking predators? If you ask an evolutionist, he will tell you that sleep either provided some advantage in the past and still exists today as a leftover, or it does provide some unimaginable advantage today which we cannot yet understand. In other words, I have no clue which side of the coin turned up but I can guarantee you it was either heads or tails.

Ludicrous indeed!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins