Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Evolutionism

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 4, 2002 01:22:02 UTC

One of the positions of creationists that I find most difficult to understand is the idea that evolution is a religious belief, as much based on faith as creationism. I honestly think it can't be further from the truth. Evolution is a theory describing the nature of observed evidence, linking together many observations (striations of fossils in the earth, small changes in DNA from parent to child, similar species sharing similar genetic structure, etc.) It's the theory that best explains those phenomena. Creationism, on the other hand, is not, at its core, based on observation and deduction. It's based entirely on faith. That is, the creationist looks at evidence from the position "Since I know I am right, the evidence must be misleading or incorrect, here is an alternate theory that better supports my beliefs." A true scientist looks at evidence from the position of "Since the evidence leads to this conclusion more decisively than any other, the logical deduction is this theory." Whether or not evolutionism is true in this case is meaningless: we're arguing core approaches here. And the approach scientists take in proving evolutionary biology is nothing like the approach creationists take in supporting their own beliefs.

I suggest you download the debate Rich posted. The two spend a good deal of time sparring over this very topic (with Hovind insisting that "time" is the evolutionists' religion) Though both sides missed out on making some points that could have made things more interesting, it was worth the three hour download. (56K piece of Language Removed) :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins