Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Change What You Believe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 3, 2002 19:51:32 UTC

***"I realize", "I see", "I think". Do you really? I don't think you know were I go to church, and I don't think you know my parents. Such sterotypes!***

I was hoping that you were in a church that was more fundamentalist than you. I was hoping it was your parents' beliefs that stiffle your education. If it is you, then I fear that your situation is more dire than I thought.

***The church I am presently at is not nearly as fundamentalist as I am. I have never heard the origins of the universe mentioned once. And the pastor does not interpret the scriptures nearly as literally as I do. I also disagree with my parents on many things.***

Then is it no problem for you if you told church members and your parents that you have come to accept evolution and a 14 billion year universe? Would they not disapprove of such an card blanche acceptance of science?

***Is freedom that important if you are wrong? Would you rather be free for 80 years on earth then die and go to hell for eternity, or would you rather be do things according to God's will and live in heaven for eternity? Sounds harsh, but it's what I believe.***

This sounds like your minister talking. Sam, there's nothing wrong with not taking the bible literally in every verse and chapter. You already do that when you say that the 'four corners of the earth' is not literally meaning that the earth is a square shape. Most Christians don't take the 'blood of Christ' as his actual blood at communion, do they? It is wine (or grape juice) - we all know that.

You are putting too much emphasis on very unimportant biblical points. It doesn't matter how long creation took, and it doesn't matter with whether God did it by some magical means or had the earth produce life. I wish you didn't put these unrealistic constraints on Christianity. It totally diverts from seeing the important message of the faith.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins