Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Careful, Mr. Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on June 1, 2002 22:18:57 UTC

Q. Do you not agree that we have turned our back on the natural world with our relentless obsession in burning fuels, mining and destroying land, deforestation, and overall apathy towards preservation.
A. So I suppose the misbehavior of others gives you a license to rant. So to you there is a big "we" in this. Garrett Hardin, who wrote TheTragedy of the Commons (which nearly all serious biologists would know) points out that all problems are local. The universal "we" is useless in science. It's like saying your nose failed to warn your toe in the dark before you stubbed it.

Okay.... there is another influential book called "The End of Nature", (written by McKribben) - Pretty influential in its own right, and I don't think it agrees with you about the locality of environmental degredation.

So if we burn coal in the Midwest using only minimum wet scrubber usage - it will only affect midwestern states? Get real.

Question for the idiot who claims to have recieved an A in night school.

What do you know about meteorology? What do you know about changing climates? If we begin to alter the natural weather patterns via human disruptions, then I would say it is more than local. Shifting weather patterns, altered climates, desertification, deforestation, and sea level changes are all world problems. There is no more local place - everything is connected. Human relationships have put us on the global scene with regards to our total, overall influence. Our industries our competing to see who can pollute the fastest and cheapest! How about taking a class in environmental studies in the year 2000 - it might help.

What am I doing? To steal a phrase from the environmental cliche department - I act locally and think globally. I recycle, I educate, I read, I organize in my communtity, and I promote an overall shift in environmental thinking. What else is one man suppose to do, Mike? If everyone were to act, maybe we could change things. We have to ruffle some government feathers to get things in motion. I don't have the solutions, but I can certainly help get the word out on the problems.

BTW, the only reason I said anything about my stature was to quit down our little friend and his ego. He needs a dose of reality to settle his nerves.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins