Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Light Is Slowwwiinngg Dddooowwwwnnnnn..... And Earth At Center

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aaron Viviano on May 31, 2002 15:31:12 UTC

"Astronomers detect light from our own Milky Way galaxy that is 100,000 years old. How do you account for that?"

This is based on the idea that the speed of light is constant. A false premise.

We all now that light can be affected by gravity. We also now that it can be sped up or slowed down by.

In fact before that 1960's it was thought that they were getting closer to the speed of light with incressingly accurate measurements. I beleive that this is only partially true. In fact I think that the speed of light has been slowing down. Now you will probably be thinking "this guy has lost it", but think about it. The way we currently measure the speed of light is with the Atomic clock. Now the clock keeps track of time by using light. Since basically you have a ruber ruler problem. So with out knowing how light is affected when it travels thorugh space. Theorecticly light from distant parts of the universe may be actually arive here faster than perviously thought.

Another possiblity is that the Earth is located near the center of the universe. Now obviously it isn't at the exact center, but one might assume that our galaxy or group of them could be near the center. Now if it is then it could be under at time dilation effect. In the theory it states that the nearer one is to the center of the universe the slower time "travels". So in effect light could be billions of years old and yet to us it only took 6000 years to get here. Tricky aint it!

-Aaron

Ugg I'm soo tired today. Stupid tests slowng me down. Like Light!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins