Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Actually Harv & Aaron

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 3, 2002 13:57:04 UTC

In General Relativity there is no such thing as a gravitational field. It is a completely geometric theory based on the speed of light being constant.

It is space that bends and distorts due to the presence of mass in that theory.

It follows, though I cannot get Bruce to believe it, that the event horizon of a black hole is where space is being sucked into the hole at the speed of light in the distant reference frame. That is why light cannot escape from it. That is why Smolin thinks that new universes come from black holes. It even says that, more or less, in the Sri Bagavatum, 'new universes are streaming out of Vishnu's nose'. So Hinduism got it right- maybe even the age of the universe- being infinite.

Anyway, the light at the event horizon is still going at a constant speed, but space is traveling inward at the same speed. It's all geometry.

Now if only I could figure out how to get a 6,000 year old universe from geometry alone, I could make a mint from the YECers.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins