Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In Other Words ...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ian on May 8, 2002 17:21:55 UTC

.... how does someone distinguish between what Jesus says or what Muhammed says or what Buhddah says?

When someone offers the sayings of Jesus or quotes the bible they are trying to argue from authority (Jesus being the authority in this case). That is a bad arguement. Just because someone says it is so, doesn't make it so. There is no evidence that states that any of them have a more valid argument than any other that their religion is the "true" religion of the world.

Hmmm, I'm sorry if I have taken us off on the tangent of looking at religions philosophically. I orginally was hear to watch (and maybe chime in a little here and there) the discussion between evolution and creation. Stormcrow laid things out nicely and no one has yet (though emporer_alikar gave a very technical and well thought out, but a bit flawed, argument) thoroughly contradicted or falsified his statements. Look, scientists have been at this for a long time. Looking at the data, refining their research, questioning others findings. I bet most of these scientists have been religious as well. However, I would say that most of them understand that science and the parables of religion don't mix. They are separate entities. Taking the bible or other religious texts as literal is a mistake (I understand, that is my opinion and I am sorry if I offend) but the huge amount of data that scientists in all fields have found point in the completely opposite direction of a literal bible.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins