Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Professors: They're Only Human

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 20, 2002 22:17:26 UTC

Hi Mike,

You don't run across professors all that often. If you happen to have one or more as friends or part of your family or profession, then you do more often than most people.

Otherwise, the most likely encounter with them is when you are in college, and then you only get to know those teaching the sections of courses you happen to take.

In my experience, my college had a mix of great ones and dodos. I got some of each, but mostly dodos. That's the breaks. I couldn't afford to go to Harvard.

So after that college experience, the competence of those professors means less and less to my life. I have long since either made up for the dodo's errors and deficiencies, or their influence on me has become unimportant. The gems I received from the good ones are still valuable to me. But the important thing is that I have progressed beyond all that and it is unproductive to dwell on it. (Sometimes, though, I do think about writing a letter explaining to my alma mater why I don't send them any contributions. But so far I haven't even taken the time to do that. This diatribe may be as much energy as I will ever spend on the subject.)

But...if good professors are really important to you, I know of a good source. I can, and do, highly recommend a company that produces top-notch video and audio college courses given by really good professors. You can find them at

www.teach12.com

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins