Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: AFFF

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 18, 2002 18:17:20 UTC

You are the only one who appreciates my sense of humor!!!

You wrote -
"My thoughts on prayer is that it only works if certain principles aren't violated and if it is in harmony with God's will. Jesus prayed not to be crucified if it was God's will."

What is the purpose of prayer if it IS in harmony with Gods will. If Gods will is Gods will then why the need for prayer. Does prayer change Gods will? If it does then why does anybody lose loved ones? We need to be sure we are not feeding into our delusions of the "hope" there is a better place to go.

You wrote -
"All of us experience answered prayers and unanswered prayers. "

Sounds like a Garth Brooks song!! You are exactly right, our prayers are "answered" probably in line with the laws of probability. Some are answered and some are not. Sometimes I wish things would happen - like when I was a younger man I would wish a hot looking babe (like Richards little numbers) would come up to me and ravage me like a dog in heat. That never happened. Sometimes I just wished for somebody to love me, and then I met my wife. Maybe it all depends on what we are "asking" for - somethings are in our reach and somethings are not, and somethings happen by mere chance.

You wrote -
"Regarding this world, yes, it can be a dark, sad lonely, place but it can also be a bright, beautiful, joyful place as well. Suffering and joy are both experiences in this world. "

I wonder if starving people in third world countries think the same way. I guess it is Gods will for them to lead a miserable existence while we sit here and ponder the metaphysical realities of our universe. I suppose God feels like it is all part of the plan for the US to use up 2/3 of the worlds resources while other countries struggle to eat a meal once a week. I guess it is Gods will for our pets to eat better than the majority of the population of the rest of the world. Beautiful moments and joyful occasions have to be rationalized against the backdrop of the trajedy that is our existence.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins