Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Silly Question Is Never As Silly As The Silly Man

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 19, 2002 13:19:14 UTC

The banging universe wrote -
"Since you said you have a good science background, maybe you can cite your reference on what you said you "know"."

As I have previously stated - I will provide you with the breadth of my knowledge, but I refuse to take time out and write you a research paper with a works cited page.

I will make an exception for you.

" Is soil a resource? "

"Soil is a very slowly renewable natural resource. A resource is any material that benefits humanity. Soil and the plant life that it supports provide food, fiver, and wood products for humanity. For, example, as part of the hydrologic cycle, soil and associated vegetative cover mediate the flow of precipitation into streams, lakes, and other surface waterways, as well as controlling groundwater recharge. Soil is also part an important part of global cycels for carbon, nitrogen, sulfur, and other plant nutrients."

This was a passage from "Soils and their environment" written by John J. Hassett and Wayne L. Banwart.

Yes, soil is an important resource. One that we need to take better care of, because topsoil erosion is a very dangerous action.

Slash and burn techniques in rainforest areas do not help the topsoil in the long-run. Our government indirectly supports this behavior by keeping the countries practicing it in perpetual debt.

So are we taking their soil resources, maybe not, but if we don't promote sustainable agricultural practices in other countries then we are as guilty as they are. I am not sure we practice sustainable agriculture in our own country (better than most though.)If countries waste their soil resources because they are trying to make money for us, then it should be our responsibility to help change their practices.

It seems some countries are trying to improve their economic condition by exploiting their natural resources. Can we blame them? That is what we did in the early days of our development.
What do you propose the solution is? Please cite sources for your information.

"Do we use 2/3 of the soil? Is water a resource? Do we use 2/3 of the water?
Is air a resource? Does U.S. use 2/3 of the air?"

I hope somebody comes to my aid with this one. Yes, water is a resource and so is air. But to ask if we use 2/3 of it is downright lunacy.

I was basing my information of energy resources, like oil, coal, timber, and other forms of goods that are imported and exported.

But sense you asked - Water recycled in the grand water cycle. Something around 2-3% of the total water on the planet can be used for consumption, while the rest is held up in ocean and ice. While water can be recycled, its purity can be damaged to the point where only use of heavy chemicals can reverse the problem. How many countries have access to these chemicals?

Air is the same. It can be polluted so that we can no longer use it for our own good.

Bye Bye - Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins