Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: America's Favorite Family Forum

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Chuck Owens on April 18, 2002 16:39:54 UTC

Hi Everybody,

Scott, I like your sense of humor regarding the combination of "sincere" and "chit chat" together. It made me laugh.

"Our saviour? Saviour to Jews? Saviour to future Christians only? In this forum you must specify the definition of "our", otherwise you are engaging in "sloppy logic" (which was coined by our own Dr. Dick, or maybe Mike, I don't really remember)."

Actually I had the whole human race in mind when I said the prayer, so "our" refers to the whole human race including Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Deists, Atheists, Agnostics, everybody. I guess one could wonder whether intelligent extraterrestrial beings, if they exist, could be included in "our".

"A couple experiments were conducted at some point in history to decide if prayer really worked and if the soul really could be proven to exist."

My thoughts on prayer is that it only works if certain principles aren't violated and if it is in harmony with God's will. Jesus prayed not to be crucified if it was God's will. Obviously God's will allowed for the crucifixion. Even Paul in one of his letters prayed for some type of infirmity to be removed from his body but his prayer wasn't answered because it wasn't in harmony with God's will to answer the prayer. So you're right. God isn't our "genie" to grant our every wish. As you said " Uttering a quick chant does not summon the lord to your whims. God is not a genie in a bottle!!"
All of us experience answered prayers and unanswered prayers. It's just that this particular prayer of mine just happened to be one of the prayers that was answered, and that's what makes it special.
Regarding the "soul", I imagine weighing it is like weighing the thoughts in your mind. The "soul" is not matter, like a rock or a tree, to be weighed.

Regarding this world, yes, it can be a dark, sad lonely, place but it can also be a bright, beautiful, joyful place as well. Suffering and joy are both experiences in this world.

Chuck

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins