Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Woodshed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on March 30, 2002 18:56:53 UTC

Hi Paul,
you wrote:
"I think the key to resolving your pessimism is to move away from your current perspective and consider two others. First, take a look from the biggest picture, from the highest level, and the longest term and I think you will see that everything is moving along just as it should."

Paraphrasing Arthur Falk in Humanist Magazine circa 1995, in a passage I agree
To the higher mind, evolution is not intelligent design. Either one can be cruel and wasteful; yes, you're right, nothing bad will happen except everything dropping dead in turn, replaced by some other being. That doesn't comfort me much.
Every day in every way things are getting better and better? Nuh. Ever read Voltaire? Know his part in advancing the civil justice system out of the dark ages? I'm not a pessimist...more like engineer Scotty on the Enterprise. Everyone else may dance around the maypole and sip fruit punch but some have to know how things work. At some levels of our maintenance, I am one of those who see bottlenecks ahead comparable to some very bad times we've been through in the past millenium. "I duhna thinc I cuhn holt hare tuhgether much lunger, Cupten!"

thanks Paul, with that and 50 cents I can get coffee in this town...
I'm an old Robert Anton Wilson reader...even met him in Seattle...alternate realities are something I can do all day long. Money? That's something that comes harder for some of us, since the currency system increasingly is not tied to production but to special interests. It's currently a problem for me here in Ellensburg.

at the CTMU site I read:
"Because perception is an interaction between self and environment, this amounts to bringing one’s former self into conjunction with one’s present self."

Response: "Self" here may be the brain-nervous system which probably is storing memories frame by frame (variable frames per unit time)
and doing so on a very large number of tracks which are Random Access Memory.

Yaak Yaak Yaak.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins