Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Responses To That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on February 24, 2002 15:50:45 UTC

Dear Dolphin,
I had some problems with understanding the movie, too, such as the fact that even we, the movie-goers, were seeing with vivid details a scene where a whole audience were listening to him lecture, just before he was wrestled to the ground and taken away. I think a true sufferer of a mental disease would have a sense that they were hallucinating, if they were.
But maybe, in light of what you wrote, I guess the movie merges two opposing points of view...
making if very confusing, but somehow holding together. We both saw that the mental health helpers were pretty damn dumb, wishing to torment him with insulin shock and so on.

Regarding the rules of behavior...I agree with you -- society should behave differently too.
Yet it is known that some individuals are headstrong about conforming even to the most
necessary rules, like refraining from seemingly random violent behavior. Those folks are usually locked up. Short of that are a whole range of
persons who are headstrong about "conforming."
If they can find a niche to be so individualist,
all works out well. But some, after feeling they have been "butting their heads against the wall" and never succeeding in their own private mind, may become "conditioned" to failure.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
A mind which is not motivated to remain coherent (long term, by experiencing success ) will not be as likely to persevere in the regular maintenance which personal mind management requires. Religious faith can get a person through this, I think, but then most faith institutions ask for conformity to forms of strangeness... which gradually divides society into peculiar sub-societies. Fortunately,
some work to bridge these divides and
"de-strangify" themselves.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Our institutions are still very neglectful of good management. Surely some become confused by the fact that authority in management is sometimes quite negligent, even malicious toward the developing minds.
Surely there is room, too, for the idea that genetic, organic brain variations play a part in creating the problems of "social fit" which you describe.

Everyone varies somewhat We make accomodations for many variations, so they are part of society. For some reason, some folks are not accomodated even by their own social networks.
Maybe you are implying the variety of symptoms labelled as schizophrenia are really a wide variety of variations. Well, we know that statistically, it is likely that some variations will be rarer than other. Some variations, being among the statistically rarer and, in some cases, "brain-functionally significant."
Some of these folks have become extremely discouraged, to the point where they run out of money and wander around thinking
hopeless thoughts.

Do you agree with the above?

Will you please explain what you mean by "thje opposite of lucid dreaming"?

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins