Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: The Evidence Thing...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on February 20, 2002 06:03:07 UTC

Hi Dolphin

Your internal sound story rings pretty true. in the first paragraphs, before visual track was described, I was thinking it could be just leaky wattage in the ol' radio bag
(affection term for my own mind)
but with the visual part, it could still be within the brain's upper range of performance
and due to variation, you may have a particularly
neat "ol' radio bag." In its exuberance and under the right confluence of conditions, including your reverent reflective attention, it could have been revving up and showing off a little...I'm not against all the most creative spiritual theories...just looking at biomechanics as a possible cause, and I speak with a lack of sophistication I hope you won't mind. Just a one credit course in neuro-science, and
did a few things in my own time...

What I meant by that evidence thing was: in reference to the
claim that Buddhists quite know what the phenomenon is, even to its part in the great cycle of life/death/rebirth or liberation.
I respect those concepts and buddhism but never
have seen convincing evidence that it was established as fact.. like the rest of the scheme they describe. It's neat...and so are a few alternate schemes... maybe they know but I haven't seen proof. So many want us to believe without rigorous proof, and some of the stories are so beautiful. I like that Jesus fellow because persons could talk with him and he'd offer proof and reason and illustration ... modeled polite conversation...
seems to me religion today echoes that hollowly with a lot of repetition, "evidence by authority being sufficent," and other shallow rhetoric.

A few years I back had a silly astropsychology website called Happyland -- very crude, with every star a "link" to a new page with a new star field, new random odd thoughts...and you could with a big enough site and fast enough computers
simulate a journey through a neural continent with a nation of thought-beings...silly!

My main video store didn't have Monsters Inc.
and I know I'll see it before long, somehow.

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins