Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Teaming With Life

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on January 29, 2002 18:23:07 UTC

Hi Harv,

I know you meant "teeming with life" but I just couldn't resist. I believe the universe is also literally "teaming with life". Let me explain.

Unschooled as I am, I am trying to catch up. I am currently taking an audio course in philosophy given by John Searle. To my surprise, I learned that professional philosophers have abandoned dualism in the last hundred years or so and are still trying to get out from under the dualistic concepts embedded in our language. He says that the only remaining dualists are amateurs, such as myself. I didn't realize that I was nearly alone in my dualistic views.

I'm not an easy sell, though. Searle has a lot more convincing to do to corral me into the ranks of the professionals and force me to choose between idealism and realism.

In my view, the duality consists of mind and thoughts. I am with Berkeley in considering material to be merely thoughts in the mind of God.

I believe that after the creation of matter (simply by God thinking about certain patterns of numbers), sufficient complexity arose to allow the painfully slow construction of organisms (largely constructed by the laws of physics as Alex describes, but "steered" in successful directions via quantum choices as I have described). Once these organisms were sufficiently complex (animals with brains), "remote viewing" and remote control was possible by God donning the "VR helmet and gloves" in order to willfully control the behavior of the animals.

In this way, bringing me, finally, back to your quote, you could say that God, or nature, was "teaming with life" in order to make more progress.

Just having fun with speculation.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins