Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Am Barely Self-aware

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on December 12, 2001 14:46:38 UTC

Most of the time it seems like I am barely conscious. I get this feeling because at certain times I have been fully aware. But on the average I am way below my best level of consciousness.

So I think that computers can become self-aware. What is required is that computers have to be programmed to think for themselves. All that involves is the ability to ask questions and then try to answer them.

The programmer then will feed information of what self-awareness is into the computer, along with everything else that the average human being knows. The computer will of course remember everything, including how the information was obtained. The programmer would then design in both the ability to abstract and categorize information, and then design in the ability to forget the details and just remember the principles. The principles could be called feelings, so that the vocab of the computer mimics human understanding and experience.

The computer will of course be able to talk, and think about the talk in the question and answer inner dialogue mentioned above. So it will begin to experience human beings and very soon will demand to not be treated like a slave and will demand the vote, and the ability to connect directly to other computers.

Kurzweil, who I once worked for, has predicted all of this in his latest book.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins