Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hello Dick

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on November 10, 2001 06:06:55 UTC

Aurino: Prior to the 2000 election 'season' I regularly posted in counterbalance as Minister Exaggerator. Under this name I got into some disagreement with Aurino (two years ago or so), and in one of my retorts I used a "slam" on him (a low blow, as we all do from time to time). It was nothing original. Fast-forward to now, when I post as the screen name I made popular (notorious) in chat rooms during election 'season' -- Luis Hamburgh (not my name; it's an anagram for Rush Limbaugh) -- and Aurino and I get into another disagreement. Aurino uses the same "slam" on me I'd used on him as Minister Exaggerator in 1999. Thrilled at this misstep, I pointed out the irony of the situation (as well as his lack of originality), at which time he pitched a fit. A few days later he announced to the entire board here that he was leaving for good, and (as far as I know) he hasn't been back.

Agnosticism: I think you and I and Harv would agree that induction is an ugly necessity, but exactly how we adapt to this idea probably differs within each of us. Harv equates it to a sense that faith is a requirement of life, but I find this to be circular; I deem the leap of faith we all require as merely heuristic, so much so that even this assessment is tentative, but Harv finds this to be shallow. I see that you identify with agnosticism, but how exactly would you describe for us the core of your outlook?

>>>"in my experience, science as presented today is really not much more than a religion"

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins