Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
However...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 29, 2001 03:01:18 UTC

Magnetic field is communicated via virtual photons... correct? Only when magnetic field changes (accelerated charge), do these virtual photons become translated into real photons, which are the means of propagation of the EM field...(right so far?)

So all is fine & dandy when you consider static gravi"magnetic" charge (mass) to be at rest, or at least moving with constant velocity. I gather this would be the origin of [zero-energy] gravitons. However, the thing that bothers me... is that I cannot conceive of any gravi"charge" that is not undergoing acceleration while suspended in space. Sure a rock sits comfortably at rest on the surface of the Earth, but that doesn't count (not suspended in space); we're speaking of stars and blackholes here. None of these have a "surface to sit on". Therefore, all must undergo some amount of acceleration, hence all exchanges of "gravimagnetic field" must be done via real gravitons. Real gravitons carry energy, which implies that they can lose energy while climbing up out of the gravity well (a very steep well at that!).

So if real gravitons are pulling me toward a blackhole, then shouldn't it be that they would be of an extremely meager strength? Why does anything feel the gravity of a blackhole at all, when gravitons themselves have "trouble" escaping?

All masses do accelerate I presume (in space, nothing to stop them)... so where did I go wrong?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins