Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
So, You Are Just A Physician?...Medical Doctor?...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on October 17, 2001 19:44:44 UTC

Thank you for emotional respond. As romans said" "Angry? Then may be you are not right?". I understand that "best defense is attack", but this only proven my suspicion that you do NOT indeed have doctorate degree. If you did, there were no need for you to get so emotional let alone to get so defensive. Now you say "I indeed do not have a doctorate, but wait a moment - I have many other credentials which may constitute a Ph.D. - here they are. Look, I accomplished this and this and that (and even were not sued for malpractice yet)."

You know, "Dr." in science means advanced degree of schooling and research from accredited institution. And because you have to be established scientist in the field (who took advanced classes, conducted accomplished piece of research work and wrote a thesis, published 5-10 papers in professional journals, participated in several professional conferences, collaborated with other scientists, etc.). So people know that you INDEED know something about you subject. Because a pre-requisit for Ph.D. is to pass A LOT of basic and intermediate-level courses with good grades, this means that you know basics (of, say, physics) well.

So, if you are participating in a scientific discussion (and this forum, I believe, is related to science), then writing "Dr" in front of your name means that you ALREADY HAVE the Ph.D. degree from such institution. If your doctorate is NOT in the subject of discussion, say so. If you are medical doctor, it is NOT a Ph.D., so writing "Dr. Kyle" in physics discussion without telling the audience that you are medical doctor (which is nothing to do with Ph.D. in physics) is (as you know well) a DECEPTION of the audience (if not a lie). That is why you got caught. If you were more honest and sign as "Kyle, M.D." (this is what degree you hold, I presume)., then you would NOT have such problems (with someone noticing lack of qualification for the title you assigned to yourself).

As to me, I never sign as "Dr. Alex" contrary to your statement. Although I INDEED have a doctorate degree, tons of publications and plenty of other credentials. And it INDEED took a lot learning and a lot of work experience in research to accomplish - so my REAL LIFE work experience is probably more extensive than yours. So I also can ask you many professional questions and technics I solved and developed myself which you, of course, can not answer as it is not your field.

Therefore, please do NOT use the "Dr." title where it is totally deceptive.

By the way, I found that it is NOT the title which convinces people in discussions, but the KNOWLEDGE you have. All the title does is to say: "See, I am a doctor - thus I am smarter than you, thus shut up listen to me". This makes people to doubt your title especially if you say incorrect things. I have seen many fake "Doctors" on the Internet, so I am always suspicious when somebody claims holding doctorate and at the same time can not master basics in the field.

So, you fell into your own pit dug by your own hand (when you typed the title you do not have). Truth hurts, but there is no one else to blame but yourself.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins