Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Prefer The Invisible Hand

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 3, 2001 12:33:27 UTC

Glenn,

Adam Smith introduced a concept that called the 'invisible hand'. When people/things seek their own self interest the economy creates jobs, species evolve to keep pace with evolutionary changes, voters select the indivdual that meets their needs, etc. What is essential for the 'invisible hand' to work is that someone doesn't come along and say that they have truth, goodness, benefit and that we, as less insightful saps, must somehow sacrifice our desire to improve our lives by not moving to the city we choose, or owning the product that we think we wish, or taking on the career that we select even if we are not best at it, or voting for the politician we see fit, or even reading a book that maybe a majority motivated by 'truth, goodness, benefit' may say is harmful for our minds.

In short, Buddhism is one of the great religions of the world, but in my view the Western notion of the Invisible Hand is superior. Fortunately we don't have to worship the 'invisible hand', all we have to do is allow it to work.

That's not to say that a society can function properly without human sacrifice, human goodwill, etc. Rather, we should let these attempts to enrich the soul to compete and also produce the 'invisible hand' effect. Doing so does cause a battle for the soul, but this battle is necessary in order for the 'invisible hand' to work. God allows this and in fact designed the universe (I believe) according to this principle so that the deep enriching soul practices of the Dhamma (brotherhood, sisterhood, unity in Christ, whatever you want to call it) develops as an emergent phenomena. The true effect is not that people are denied, the true emergent effect is that families nurture this effect from childhood along with other changes that I believe are eventually in store for the human species.

However, whatever that emergent phenomena develops into, the one thing stays constant, nobody messes with the 'hand'.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins