Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Gonna Have To Open Up A Whole Can O' Whoop ***

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 22, 2001 20:20:04 UTC

I'm sorry, Jisbond, but I am incapable of not getting mad at you right now.

"Perhaps whoever teaches religion subjectively (in a way that brings decent and/or strife amongst people) ought to have their license to teach taken away!"

What is objective about religion? The beliefs that you claim are objective and truthful are simply ONE INTERPRETATION. You have selected quotes from the Koran to back you up. But bear in mind that so have they. What makes your interpretation the true one? Because it's what YOU see?

Dogmatic belief is a Rorshach test. Pure and simple. You see a butterfly, they see a pool of blood. And you claim that it is NOT subjective, when it is selective interpretation that led you to your current stance? You are a hypocrite.

"Should we categorize capital punishment, done in a sterile way and according to due process, as justified?"

Regardless of your opinions on capital punishment, I can't even begin to see how you can place American executions on the same line as public beheadings. First off, only the worst of the worst go to death row. Multiple murderers. Even INSANE multiple murderers don't get killed: they simply go to a mad house. You have to do a lot to get killed here. And even then, it is not brutal. They don't torture you to death to get a confession. They don't take turns giving you gut wounds until you bleed to death. They don't leave your body out in the sun to rot.

Are you attempting to justify the silencing of free speech, Jisbond? Would you live under a theocracy?

Would you be the one with the handsaw, silencing the heretics?

"Do we justify capital punishment because society just dose not wish to have to worry about or bothered with the capital crime repeated by the same person?"

Yes, we do. Because we have a very high definition of capital crime. When you are shot for blasphemy or for preaching foriegn religions or for fornication, that is despotism. That is intolerance.

I wish more Muslims were on this board, so I can tell what they are like as a group. You give them a bad name.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins