Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Big Brother Is Watching You...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 16, 2001 16:57:43 UTC

You have to bear in mind that this "war" will be over some day, and then we will have to deal with a government with eyes in every part of our lives. I don't care in terrorists use cell phones to conspire: if the government monitors cell phones, the terrorists will just switch tactics, and we'll be stuck with government monitored conversation. In combating the forces that oppose freedom, it's important that we don't become an intolerant, restrictive nation in the process.

It all probably comes down to whether you trust the government to look out for your best interests or not. I don't. A government that is strong enough to give you whatever you want is strong enough to take it all away.

You've got to love the newspaper headlines lately. "Colin Powell suspects terrorists still in the United States." "Sleeper Cells look and act just like regular Americans, they might even live next door to you." "Government urges American people to look out for suspicious behavior." Okay, these aren't actual quotes, but in so many words this is what is being said. This could easily turn into a witch hunt.

Yes, we must combat terrorism. And yes, some restriction on our current privacy level is inevitable. We can't allow terrorist to run free. But I fear the consequences.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins